Disney working on stand-alone 'Star Wars' films
FILE - In this Nov. 5, 2011 file photo, LACMA trustee Bob Iger arrives at LACMA's Art And Film Gala Honoring Clint Eastwood And John Baldessari at LACMA, in Los Angeles, Calif. Walt Disney Co. CEO Iger says screenwriters Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on standalone “Star Wars” movies not part of a new planned trilogy. Iger told CNBC on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2013, that the standalone movies will be based on “great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall saga." (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP Images, File)
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Disney is mining The Force for even more new films.
Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger said Tuesday that screenwriters Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are working on stand-alone "Star Wars" movies that aren't part of the new trilogy that's in the works.
"There has been speculation about some standalone films that have been in development, and I can confirm to you today that in fact we are working on a few stand-alone films," Iger told CNBC.
Iger said the movies would be based on "great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall saga." The films would be released during the six-year period of the new trilogy, which starts in 2015 with "Star Wars: Episode VII."
Disney confirmed last month that "Star Trek" director J.J. Abrams will direct the seventh installment of the "Star Wars" saga.
Disney bought "Star Wars" maker Lucasfilm last year for more than $4 billion.
The last "Star Wars" trilogy, a prequel to the original films, was released from 1999 to 2005.
latest entertainment gallery
Gillian Anderson poses topless with an eel for a campaign by the group 'Fishlove' to promote sustainable fishing.
Date 13-12-05, Duration 1:05, Views 171854