Downey hurt on 'Iron Man 3' set; filming on hold

FILE - In this April 19, 2012 file photo, actor Robert Downey Jr arrives for the European Premiere of "The Avengers," in London. Representatives at Marvel Entertainment announced that Downey Jr. sustained an injury to his foot while performing a stunt on the set of "Iron Man 3." Marvel says there will be a short delay in production while Downey recuperates. (AP Photo/Joel Ryan, file)

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Production on "Iron Man 3" is on hold after star Robert Downey Jr. hurt his foot during filming.

Marvel Studios said Thursday that Downey was injured while performing a stunt and "there will be a short delay in production while he recuperates." The 47-year-old actor is shooting the third installment in the superhero franchise in North Carolina.

"Iron Man 3" is set for release next summer. Downey plays billionaire playboy Tony Stark and Gwyneth Paltrow is his love, Pepper Potts. Guy Pearce and Ben Kingsley also star.

Downey also appeared as his Stark/Iron Man character earlier this summer in "The Avengers." The actor also unveiled a clip of the forthcoming "Iron Man' flick at Comic-Con last month.