Simon Rattle to quit Berlin Philharmonic in 2018
FILE - In this April 22, 2006 file picture Sir Simon Rattle, speaks at a press conference in Berlin. British conductor Simon Rattle will leave his post as the artistic director of the Berlin Philharmonic when his contract ends in 2018. Rattle says he will be 64 by then and wants to make room for someone else to take over after 16 years as chief conductor. He said in a statement Thursday Jan 10, 2013 that he wanted to give the German capital’s renowned orchestra enough time to find a successor over the coming five years. (AP Photo/dapd/ Berthold Stadler,File)
BERLIN - Simon Rattle will leave his post as chief conductor and artistic director of the Berlin Philharmonic when his contract ends in 2018, he said Thursday.
The British conductor said he would be 64 by then and wanted to make room after 16 years for someone else to take the helm at the German capital's renowned orchestra.
"As a Liverpool boy, it is impossible not to think of the Beatles' question, 'Will you still need me.., when I'm 64?'" he said in a statement.
"This was not an easy decision," he added. "I love this orchestra and therefore wanted to tell them my decision as early as possible."
The orchestra's chairmen, Peter Riegelbauer and Stefan Dohr, said they regretted but respected his decision to quit. Its general manager Martin Hoffmann said the orchestra won't name Rattle's successor before 2015.
He told Berlin's rbb kulturradio station that there had been no differences between Rattle and the orchestra.
"But we live in an age where a lifelong link between both sides, the chief conductor and the musical body, isn't regarded as the ideal solution anymore," said Hoffmann.